Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I ripped off the left wing....



Ok not ripped, but carefully removed. It was quite a site with my father, myself and my pregnant wife trying to maneuver around a horribly messy shop. I put it in the shop apartment for painting and covering. So far I've removed the old fabric, aileron bracing and lights. I guess I should build a wing rotisserie for covering and painting but I have no clue how I'd actually attach it to the wing.
There was a couple of broken ribs, but overall, it looks pretty good for something started in the late 60's. The internal bracing has some slight corrosion which I plan on using rust reformer and then a new top coat. I ordered some 5/16th spruce and plywood from Aircraft Spruce. Dianna...if your reading this...don't freak out it was cheap. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I, too, was surprised to see a 1960 plane wing still intact and in good condition. I think you scored a great deal on this one! And yes, I can see some broken ribs. Were you able to use this wing? If it's not too late, I suggest that you repair the damaged parts so you can use this again.

    Best,
    Jeanette@
    ZoAir.com

    ReplyDelete